Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Are you eligible to sponsor your relative to immigrate to the United States?

If you are a permanent resident of the United States and looking to sponsor your relative for his immigration to the country, then you need to fulfil certain eligibility criterion.

Here is a look at those eligibility guidelines –

1. You must be a lawful permanent citizen of the country and must possess written documentation proof for the same.

2. You must prove to the authorities that you can support your relative above the 125% poverty line.

3. You can file the sponsorship petition of only the following relatives (who are of foreign origin) :
  • Parents/Brother/Sister (if you are more than at least 21 years of age or more than that).
  • Spouse.
  • Unmarried children (<21years of age).
  • Unmarried son or daughter (>21years of age).
  • Married son or daughter (age is no bar).
However, under all the above mentioned cases, you must be able to provide lawful documented proofs for the relationship as well as your own citizenship proof in the United States, failing to which can lead to the rejection of the immigration petition.